Saturday, August 15, 2009

Practice Karate Without Self Criticism

I prefer to practice karate like the masters of old. For them and me it was a means of enlightenment. One of the keys to practicing this way is to practice without self criticism. In the modern world where ego wants us so badly to be number one, we often miss the subtle value of seeking enlightenment through practicing our karate without self criticism.

Just today in my class one of my black belt students while learning a new self defense technique started chiding herself for not being able to pick it up as quickly as she would have liked. As a seasoned teacher I reminded her that the goal of karate is perfection of character or enlightenment and that it is more easily obtained when we practice non jugdment, even to ourselves. I continued, though that's kind of a zen concept Jesus said much the same when He cautioned his disciples against judging others.

Bobby Lawrence, Founder Karate Kwon Shu

No comments: